Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hey everyone! I hope that those of you at home in America will get a little taste of what I'm experiencing here in St. Andrews, Scotland as you read. St. Andrews is an amazing town full of history. The town dates back to the 10th century and the University to the 15th (St. Leonard's College-- now the post-grad college-- has been in existence even longer). St. Andrews was the center of the Catholic Church in Scotland until the Reformation. There are accounts of some gruesome martyrdoms in Foxes Book of Martyrs that took place at the old St. Andrews Cathedral and Castle. These martyrdoms helped make St. Andrews so controversial that most of the Cathedral and Castle and many of the University buildings were destroyed during the reformation.
Some of the pictures I am posting show the original cathedral and castle in their present conditions.

1 Comments:

At September 26, 2007 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Gerianne Ditto said...

Hi Ry! You are so lucky! Those pics look amazing, but I bet there's just nothing like being there in the flesh. I'm thinking of you and praying for you daily! Eat it up and enjoy every experience you can (and let me know if the Cathedral is looking for a canter! haha) All my love always, ger

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home